Below you find a list of SARS quotes which are randomly displayed on every page of this website.
- "We must not lower our vigilance or slacken our efforts to fight SARS."
- Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore deputy Prime
- "The virus is so promiscuous that it is not unlikely to suppose that it is still out there, in different species."
- Professor Albert Osterhaus, Erasmus Medical Centre
- "It is vital that in this 'pause' between the next possible wave of SARS that robust public health systems are put into
place and tested."
- Dr. James Appleyard, World Medical Association
- "We must continue our anti-SARS work just as diligently as we have so far."
- Niu Youcheng, Beijing's Health
- "I suggest the epidemic could have been started by a rat going into an apartment visited by the patient and being
infected by contaminated material, such as used tissue paper, leftover food, or excreta."
- Stephen Ng,
- "Just because a drug kills the virus in a test tube does not mean it will kill the virus in patients."
Robert Read, HPA expert advisory group on SARS
- "I used to believe everything the government told me. But now, after SARS, I will weigh everything the government says
very carefully, and I'll judge how much of it is true."
- Chinese SARS victim
- "SARS was a 'wake-up call' for Europe to get better prepared and to substantially enforce cooperation at an
- David Byrne, European Health Commission
- "Having overcome the SARS epidemic, Chinese society is more mature and open."
- Wu Yi, Chinese Vice
- "Scientists are very competitive but when you have a major crisis we have to work together for the good of
- Dr. Steven Jones, scientist
- "Scientists are competitive by nature - all of them want to become Nobel prize winners, published in international
journals - but all of that was set aside."
- Dr. Klaus Stuhr, World Health Organization
- "The health system really was not prepared for this."
- Dr. Donald Low, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
- "You only get one chance to eradicate something like this. Once it's established, you've got a real problem."
- Dr. Adrian Mockett, vaccine specialist
- "We really need to push forward and learn from this experience."
- Tung Chee-Hwa, Hong Kong chief
- "Unless you know what you're looking for, you've no tools to find it."
- Mike Leahy, virologist
- "We were dealing with something unknown... incredibly scary."
- Julie Hall, World Health Organization
- "Hong Kong had one of the hardest outbreaks to control."
- David Heymann, World Health Organization
- "To succeed in containing SARS in Singapore, everyone must cooperate and play his part."
- Singapore Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong
- "We must continue to maintain the highest vigilance. Let us fight SARS together, and protect ourselves."
- Minister for home affairs Wong Kan Seng (Singapore)